Index
  Random Headlines
  Who's Online
There are currently, 114 guest(s) and 0 member(s) that are online.

You are an Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here
Technicalhelp and Freewysemonkeys: Forums

Technicalhelp and Freewysemonkeys :: View topic - Setting up printers (USB or LPD) local to Wyse S10
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Setting up printers (USB or LPD) local to Wyse S10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Technicalhelp and Freewysemonkeys Forum Index -> WTOS/Blazer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike-Pentangle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Setting up printers (USB or LPD) local to Wyse S10 Reply with quote

Hi all,

Newbie first post here...although i'm not a newbie in PC support terms.

I'm trying to get my head around the ability to have a printer locally to the Wyse S10, either via a USB port or via LPR/LPD printing. This is because I have to architect a solution for a company who want to extent their office (currently using Wyse clients and a Windows TS box) to other satellite sites which will consist of a single person with Wyse box and printer.

I've tried attaching a printer (in this test case it's the office's HP Color Laserjet 2600n) via USB and then going into a session, and whilst the printer appears on the session I print to it and nothing comes out. I've also tried setting up the printer as an LPD printer and still no joy.

Now, I've read through the "WTOS - Setting up printers" whitepaper from Wyse, and it doesn't seem to shed any new light, although I suggest my problem is something to do with driver mapping from the printer to the Wyse box via the "printer identification" section, as i'm not sure why/how the device driver name is relevant in this context?

Can anyone show me a printer of theirs they've successfully set this up with? and how I would go about it?

Finally, since these sites are going to be remote to the main TS site, does all the print information come to the Wyse box from the TS server via port 3389? i.e. do I need to open up any more firewall ports?

Thanks for any info!
Mike.
thinkthin
Source Code
Source Code

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Here is how Printing works with WTOS.

The printer is created locally and then mapped under the session. All the print data comes down the ICA/RDP channel so there is no extra ports to open.

The important thing to remember is that there is no local print spooler so the print data is "passed through" to the printer as is. Because of this you must have the correct print driver loaded on the server and in the "printer identification" box place the windows driver name (For example HP LaserJet 4M) exactly as it appears in the advanced section of the printer properties in windows.

Local USB printers can be connected, if you use a S10 set the printer up as LPT1 - as there is no LPT1 on the box it will then try USB ports. There is only a limited number of supported USB printers so you will have to test.

Network printers are much better as they should all work. Test LPD printing is setup and working on the printer, many have a web gui to do this and call LPD Unix or TCP printing - IP is not the same so don't select this. Once this is done set up the unit, I would always recommend using a wnos.ini file to configure the printing and if you have done this post the results and I can have a look at the file.

If you are doing it manually you only need the Printer name, identification, printer host (IP) and que - don't worry about the class or type.

Finally the test print button on the terminal sends a generic text print page and many new printers no longer support this so test under the session. If the printer did not map check the drivers are loaded server side and the Printer ID is defined correctly on the client.

I hope this helps, post how you got on. Once you get LPR going its the most reliable and easiest to configure,

Cheers,
-TT
Mike-Pentangle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks TT, I think that explains what I needed to know in a much more elegant way than the Wyse whitepaper Smile

One final question - if I have an LPR printer local to the remote office, does the traffic still come down the RDP session and then somehow branch off out of the Wyse S10 into an LPR session? (i.e. would LPR printing still work if the server and the LPR printer were firewalled from each other with only port 3389 available for Wyse access?)

Cheers,
Mike.
thinkthin
Source Code
Source Code

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I hope is explains it, the problem with forums is I bash out a quick reply when I have a moment and unfortunately they are not always that great Wink

Yes you are correct, printing, drive mapping, video, sound and clip board mapping are all contained within the RDP protocol stream on port 3389. So the print data will go to the S10 and the S10 redirects it to the local print server. (in your case the print server and printer are the same device).

This is a common application for RDP or ICA in a remote office situation where firewalls prevent greater access.

Good luck!
Mike-Pentangle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much Smile
Dpizzle
Regular Joe
Regular Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HP Color LaserJet 2600n's built in network card does not have support for LPR/LPD printing. So the S10 cannot map this printer to itself locally this way. I Tried in vain for many days trying to get it to work until I found a forum post that listed LPR status for all HP printers and found the 2600n on the list of not supported. I do have the printer working over USB and mapping through RDP to a terminal session however.

One caveat that I have noticed is that if you are printing a document and log out of your RDP session the spool.exe gets confused and crashes. You have to go in and restart the process if this happens.

There is a new setting in 5.2 that allows for LPD spooling of up to 10MB, but i have not noticed a difference when this is enabled to when its not. Anyone have any idea if this is useful or if I should just disable it?
thinkthin
Source Code
Source Code

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dpizzle,

Thanks for this info, had I checked (not assumed) the HP specs say its got some weird host based Driver to printer over TCP.

I am actually surprised it worked over a USB connection so nice job! Hopefully Mike can use your info.

The S10 with LPR client printers can have issues with very large print jobs failing. If this happens you can use the param to increase the buffer. If you don't use LPR client printers no need to enable this as it uses memory spool the job.

Cheers,
-TT
notben

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i've kind of the same issue with my S10 and a deported server, so if some body can publish his or her wnos.ini and tell me if he or she has succed with the LPD protocol because on my problem i've 2 S10 and 2 printer and 1 laptop of curse the laptop can't be netbios printer server and USB can't work if one of the 2 S10 is off so .. LPD remaind my only chance ... please give me a advice on that I've call the Wyse support but they are as bad as they never answer me

thanks in advance

PS :sorry for my english it's crap (I'm french ^^)
thinkthin
Source Code
Source Code

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

LPD is very easy to set up in the wnos.ini file, here is an example:

Printer=LPD1 LocalName=PRN01 Host=10.60.11.44 Queue="lp" PrinterID="HP LaserJet 4M" Enabled=yes

I used the ConfGen utility on this site to generate the files, its very easy to use!

Also you can share a Windows Printer on the notebook and the S10 can connect to the Windows SMB print share,

Cheers,
-TT

<Your English is better than my French!>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Technicalhelp and Freewysemonkeys Forum Index -> WTOS/Blazer All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: