Index
  Random Headlines
  Who's Online
There are currently, 75 guest(s) and 0 member(s) that are online.

You are an Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here
Technicalhelp and Freewysemonkeys: Forums

Technicalhelp and Freewysemonkeys :: View topic - Printing with Wyse V10L, local USB printers, and RDP
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Printing with Wyse V10L, local USB printers, and RDP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Technicalhelp and Freewysemonkeys Forum Index -> WTOS/Blazer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rienzilla
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Printing with Wyse V10L, local USB printers, and RDP Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I'm currently evaluating a Wyse V10L dual DVI unit, to see if this device is suitable for our environment (Medical environment with around 50 seats).

I'm quite happy with the ease of provisioning the units via dhcp/ftp, and with the multi-monitor capability. However, I'm stuck a little with printing issues.

Currently we have several workgroup printers attached to the network. These obviously work fine from the thin client. However, some seats use a Dymo labelwriter locally, and I haven't been able to get it to work in a decent way.

What I did uptil now:

I connected the labelwriter with USB to the v10l, enabled and configured it in the printer settings, logged in to the terminal server, added a new printer to the terminal server connected to the TSxxxx port corresponding to my waye unit and usb port. I added the correct printerdriver and managed to print a page to the printer attached to the wyse unit. However, as soon as I log off, and log on as another user, the printer is gone.

I would like that if users log on to the terminal server from a wyse terminal with a printer hooked up to it, that this printer is automatically present in their printers & faxes. Is this possible, and what is the correct way to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance,
--
Rien Broekstra

PS.

System specs:

Wyse V10L Dual DVI running ThinOS 6.3.0_27.01
Dell poweredge SC1245 running Windows 2003 Server Standard
Printer is a Dymo Labelwriter 400 Turbo
ConfGen
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rien,

sure this is possible. Make sure the PrinterID is using exactly the same name as the printer driver on your Terminal Server.
This way the printer object will be autocreated in the session.

CG
Try the free Configuration Generator to generate your ini files for WTOS, Linux v6, Linux v7, Ubuntu, Viance or create CE addon packages *** Don't forget to donate via PayPal if you like it *** http://www.technicalhelp.de
Rienzilla
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the tip!

I changed the device driver name to match the USB device string which the wyse unit seems to pull from the printer, and now the printer object is created on logon. Printing to it works, but there is one more thing: is there a way to provide additional settings for the printer such as paper format and orientation? This printer uses paper and orientation different from the defaults set in the driver.

Thanks in advance,
--
Rien
ConfGen
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can install whatever driver on your server you like. Take the one that offers all the features you need and reconfigure the client to match the new PrinterID.

CG
Try the free Configuration Generator to generate your ini files for WTOS, Linux v6, Linux v7, Ubuntu, Viance or create CE addon packages *** Don't forget to donate via PayPal if you like it *** http://www.technicalhelp.de
Rienzilla
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't see how this works.

In casu, I have several Dymo LabelWriter 400 Turbo devices attached to my v10L's. The USB identifier of these printers is "LabelWriter 400 Turbo". I modified the .inf from the dymo driver file in order to change the driver name to match the usb identifier, and then installed the driver.

If I login on the terminalserver now on a machine that has a labelwriter attached to it, windows nicely creates a printerdevice for me with the appropriate driver. However, the paper format and orientation does not match the paper inserted in the printer. I cannot find where to set these settings in order for windows to apply them to every new printer device made with this driver. Any ideas?

Cheers,
--
Rien
ConfGen
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but no.

CG
Rienzilla
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Solved Reply with quote

I solved the issue of not being able to set the default orientation and paper size for USB printers connected to a wyse thinos device, connected to a windows rds session. Below is an ItWorksForMe info of how, in case others are looking to solve the same problem. The printer I used was a dymo labelwriter 400 turbo with the drivers from dymo's website. Other printers might be configured similarly, although I did not try that out.

1. Make sure to purge all driverpackages pertaining to the printer.

(use pnputil.exe -e to find the name of the package, and pnputil.exe -d oemX.inf to remove them from the driver store)

2. Put your printerdriver installation disk somewhere.

3. Open the .inf file containing the driver descriptions, and adapt the driver description for your printer to match the USB identifier string of the printer device. Only if this drivername is the same as the USB identifier, will windows make a printer device with the appropriate driver.

4. In an appropriate .gpd file (referenced from the .inf) you can find and adapt settings for paper orientation and size. Adapt the file to your needs and save it.

5. Open Printer Management (printmanagement.msc), install a new driver, point to your freshly adapted .inf, and select the correct driver to be installed.

6. Logout, log back in, and you should be set.

Cheers,
--
Rien
ConfGen
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for letting us know.

CG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Technicalhelp and Freewysemonkeys Forum Index -> WTOS/Blazer All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: